ULM

ULM

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Unshackled Moments ~ May 3 ~ Social Submission

In yesterday's UM, Keyboard Cuffs Part I, I shared a few thoughts on restraint of pen and tongue continuing on to the keyboard. I called it a Part I because I planned an accompaniment to it for today, but not so much a continuation or Part II as a related thought. I could see even as I wrote yesterday, that restraint and self discipline at the keyboard when upset or afraid is huge, but it's just the start. It would make a major difference in our lives and possibly the lives of others, but we, all of us, can and need to do more, to go deeper.

We the people of the United States of America love our rights, and some of us even care about the rights of others. One of our favorites is the right of free speech, which is why it was the first amendment to this country's constitution. It doesn't much matter who we are in respect to race, creed, sex, age or any other distinction, we as a whole don't like being told what to say, especially what we can and can't say. We don't always have a problem with telling others what they shouldn't be saying, but don't step on my right to say whatever I want!

But here's the thing. I don't have the right to say whatever I want to, whatever I feel or even whatever I believe, and if you are a Christian neither do you. I know that may make some folks mad, and may not be much of a selling point to some who are not of the faith, but it is never the less true. By grace we have been set free to walk with God, not to do whatever we wish.

I know that idea irks some of us. And while it's true that political correctness, nor any group of people on any side of any issue has any right to control what any of us say, we still don't have the right to say and post whatever we want, with or without the First Amendment. How could we think we are higher than Christ Himself? If the Living Word that was with God and was God, the Eternal Son, gave up His right to say whatever He wanted to when He took on flesh for us, what makes us think we retain our right to speak when we surrender and become God's children, the adopted sons and daughters?

For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak.
- Jesus, John 12:49

That is how Jesus handled freedom of speech. He said everything the Father told Him to, no matter who didn't like it, no matter what power or group it might upset, or who might try to kill Him for it. That part appeals to the rebel in us. But it also means He refrained from saying what He wasn't told to say. While He wasn't in submission to people, and didn't strive to please people, He remained totally and completely in submission in word as well as deed. And He is our example.

It's so easy to throw our words out into the world, and not so easy to make them disappear afterward. The popularity, ease and nature of social media makes it easy to react and impulsively say things, makes it easy to seek attention, makes it easy to fight from a false sense of safety because we can stand against the mob without seeing them or risking a lynching, We can confront someone without having to look them in the eye. But just because we can do a thing doesn't mean we should, and not everything we do and say, even in, maybe especially in, defense of our beliefs is the right or wise thing to say.

I can't help but wonder from time to time as I look back over my past posts or read through the posts of others would Jesus click the like button on that, would He feel tempted to retweet that blurb, would Jesus have posted that if social media existed 2000 years ago? Or is He saddened by the fighting, the bragging, the self-pity, the anger, and the fear we all too often flood into the expanse of the internet? Are we drawing people to Him or pushing them away? Are we revealing His glory, power, love and way or are we simply shining the spot light on ourselves? Are we acting as servants and peacemakers or are we acting like the chaos junkies we are in  our own nature and making the problems worse?

The reason I am not giving today's moment the title Keyboard Cuffs Part II is that this goes far beyond self restraint. This is a matter of self surrender and giving the right to release or restrain to the Spirit and not our own understanding or instinct or desire. I'm not saying we shouldn't post things on social media about our kids, our pets or hobbies, etc. There's nothing wrong with enjoying trivial conversation and funny cat videos, but that said, if it's true that we will be held accountable for every idle word we speak, the same is true of what we idly post. And when it comes to how we react to offense, how we respond to others, the attention we seek and how we express our beliefs and opinions on things that matter from faith to politics to social concerns, we need to submit to the Spirit and say, as Christ did that I did not post on my own initiative, but the Father Himself who saved me and called me has given me a commandment, is in charge of, what to say and what to post, and what not to.

Sometimes I think that there should be a delay function on the enter button. We type it out, hit enter, and then see a question. Are you sure you should post this? Did you pray before you posted? What is your motive for putting this out there for everyone to see for as long as computer exist? Motives matter. Are we reacting in love, from love, or because we are angry and afraid?

Would I say this exact thing in this exact way if the person was sitting right here with me and I had to look them in the eye as I did so? Would I demand that they listen or get our of my life if I could see the hurt and brokenness of their heart revealed through the windows of their soul? Would I seek to find a way to express the truth in a more loving and compassionate way if I had to see the effect of my words as they hit my target? Would I be more concerned with how I made the other person feel if it meant I had to physically face the situation?

When we're on social media we're also on stage. We are effectively standing on the street corner wearing our signs and shouting out for whomever passes by to see our actions and hear our words. Total strangers who know little to nothing about us will see what we post, the comments we make on the posts and blogs of others. If all they have to judge us by is that one comment or post, what impression are we making. I'm not saying we should worry about what people think. I'm saying we should worry about whether they see the love of Jesus in that abstract cut out of our motives and beliefs or do they see us?

If I react wrongly and cross the line of God's will into my will with a person in conversation or a private message, I can go to that person and make amends, ask forgiveness and make it right. But if I do so on the street corner it becomes difficult, if not impossible, to make sure that those who witnessed my mistake also see me make it right. Never mind how many I may hurt who happen to hear me that I never know about. It's scary to think that I may be the only Jesus someone will ever have a chance to see, and that one post out of thousands may be the only glimpse that they observe. In fact it's an overwhelming responsibility that I am in no means up to bearing. Thank God for grace.

But I can make God's task of reaching past the garbage I put in His way of reaching that person with His love if I am more submitted to His control of how, when, why and what I put out there to start with. Do I butt in to someone's conversation to give my thoughts an opinions too quickly? Why is it we feel the right to advise and instruct people we may never have met or haven't spoken to in real life for years? If we were all in a gathering at someone's home would I be as quick to interject my thoughts on how they are doing it wrong and what they need to do? Would I do so as publicly if I felt I had to say something? Would I agree and tell my own tells of woe to feed the fires of their anger and hurt when they feel they have been wronged? Would I help them trash their offender if that person were also right there with us, hearing every word?

Does what I want to contribute to the mass of postings on any subject and every subject come from a place of love and express the grace of God into the situation? Am I a reflection of the Jesus who could walk amid those who did not know the truth and who were covered in sin and draw them to me and convict without condemnation or have I become the Pharisee pointing out the flaws of others, condemning their mistakes and beliefs and refusing to allow them to touch me or be in my life while being unable to see my own guilt?

These are the thoughts that drive my desire to let the Spirit dictate  how and when and what I post and comment on social media. I fail in this far too often, as I do in every aspect of walking with God. I need God's forgiveness and grace in this area as much as any and every other area. But if we can pause before hitting enter to ask a few questions, we can let grace have time to work. We can let less of the flawed broken and breaking people we are be seen and let more of the Healer be seen. We can ask,  is this wise to be posting this, is it true, is it full of love and grace? Is it going to hurt someone or help them? Is this going to let outsiders see the light and love of Jesus or the hypocrisy and hate of religion? Have I asked Daddy if this is the best response or if He even wants me to respond at all? Would this be better to do privately rather than publicly?

Today let us be mindful that we are all ministers, even if we are not called to preach. Let us remember that when we enter the very public stage of social media people are watching and listening. May our words show Jesus and not us, grace rather than anger and self righteousness. Let us not hesitate to post the truth in love when Daddy puts it on our heart to do so, but let us follow His direction and not our own reactions to the issues and situations that cause our spiritual knees to jerk in a kick rather than bend to His will.



Unshackled Life Ministries is grateful for every person that reads the daily Unshackled Moments and or listens to the messages. I want to thank those who have clicked "like" on something that blessed or ministered to them. It is encouraging to know that God is using this ministry to help and bless others. Please remember that if God used something from this ministry to help, encourage or bless you, it could also bless someone else. Would you help get the devotions to more people by sharing the Moments and messages that you read or listen to? Hitting the share button instead of or in addition to the like button will help us reach more people with the good news of freedom and the encouragement to live an Unshackled Life. Thank you and God bless.

If you would like to have notifications of new Unshackled Moments and messages sent to you via email, send an email to dalynwoodard@mail.com requesting to be added to the list. You can also follow Dalyn Woodard (@Dalynsmsings) on Twitter or Unshackled Life Ministries on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment