ULM

ULM

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

It’s not about what we want or feeling good ~ at least not for now.

“If you want to be a follower and disciple of Jesus, you must stop thinking about yourself and what you want. You must be willing to sacrifice the idea of immediate satisfaction, sacrifice our wants, desires and feelings on the cross and obey Jesus. By doing this we follow Jesus one step at a time.
~ Matthew 16:24 paraphrased

We want to feel good, and we want it now. We want to be happy, healthy and pleased with how our life and day is going each and every minute. If things aren’t good, or don’t feel good, we want the problem fixed immediately. That’s why feel good, no cost, positive spirituality is so popular, even to Bible believing Christians. We’d much rather eliminate any negative feelings than have a hard time, even if that means losing touch with reality and the truth that sets us free. 

But if we want long term, lasting and true liberty and joy, it isn’t instant, and isn’t free. Jesus paid a high price to provide it for us. His grace is sufficient to help us walk in it, but He won’t walk it for us. We must learn to deny ourselves and stop spiritually acting like a spoiled two-year old. We must learn that sometimes we have to say no to what we want, and sometimes we have to wait and even work for the relationship with God that we wanted when we chose to follow Jesus. We have to stop turning back every time we don’t get our way or get what we think God promised as fast as we’d like. 

The beauty of grace is that God does all the work. It’s only Him. That’s truth. But it’s also true that it takes every bit of us. We have to choose, this moment, I have decided to follow Christ and do what’s right, no matter what I want, no matter what I feel. 

Today I choose to follow Jesus, no matter the consequence, no matter the cost, no matter what I want in the moment and no matter how I feel. I thank God for His grace to walk in that, but I also realize I may have to make this same decision a hundred times today as my selfish old nature rises up and says, “But I want…..” and “But I need….” I will remember that all I really need and want is relationship with My Creator and to do what Christ has called me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment