ULM

ULM

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Unshackled Moments ~ August 27 ~ Not A God Of Second Chances

If we stumble and fall, God is there and quick to pick us up, faithful to forgive. He runs to us when we turn to Him, like the father who ran to the returning prodigal. He restores our souls and gives us peace, even though we don't deserve peace. His love covers a multitude of sins, and nothing we have done or can do will separate us from that love.

These are all wonderful truths that remind us that we should never give up asking for the grace to walk in God's way and will, no matter how many times we have fallen down. And because these are indeed true, we sometimes call God a God of second chances, even if it takes a thousand second chances. But this idea, as nice and hopeful as it seems, is one of those just false enough statements to hinder us and distract us from the truth. The truth is that God is not a God of second chances.

Forgiveness is not a second chance. First of all, before forgiveness, there is not a one of us that ever had any chance of living a life of perfect love and holiness. None of us are or ever were righteous. Therefore, since there was in reality and truth no first chance there can be no second, third or any other number of chance. No matter how many times we get the slate cleaned, we're going to dirty again without grace, and therefore there is no point in giving any of us a chance to try to do it right again.

God is not a God of second chances, because He isn't a God of chance. He is a God of intent, purpose and power. It is He who can do what none of us can ever do, and it is His great love for us that caused Him to do what only He can do on our behalf. What's the big deal? Think I'm quibbling? Nitpicking? Making a big deal out of nothing? I'm not. Here's why I  can say that with confidence.

The only Step we must get 100% right off the bat is Step One.  I can't. My life is out of my control, always has been and always will be. I am powerless over my selfishness and cursed carnality. I am powerless over the things that I have tried to fill my God-shaped hole with. I can't live right, do right, make myself well, control myself. I can't walk with God. I can't be holy and perfect as He is holy and perfect. My righteousness is as a filthy rag. I can't clean myself or restore myself. There's a lot of hopelessness and defeat in Step One, and that needs to stay that way. In myself and of myself there is no hope.

Hope doesn't show up until Step 2, when my eyes are opened to the One who is able, the One who made a way, to the One who poured out His life for me and makes His grace freely available. He can. All of those things I realized I can't, and more, He  can. In Step 3 I let Him. I surrendered my life and my will to His care and control.  Now I have become His to do with what He wills. And one thing that He has promised to do, that He has proclaimed to will for all who say yes to His call to come, is make us perfect and holy and righteous like Jesus. He who began the work of transformation and restoration in our lives is faithful and able to complete it. He will do what He said He will do in our life.

He's not taking a chance on us. He's making us His. When we allow ourselves to think that forgiveness and grace are God taking a chance on us, Him giving us a chance, we are putting the result back on ourselves, on our effort and performance. We need to make the most of the chances we have been given is the implication. No. We need to stay surrendered. We need to try really hard to walk with God. No. We need to give up and rely on Him because no matter how hard we try we will fail. See it's not about me making the most of anything or trying hard. It's not about you doing those things either. It's about us letting Him do what He is going to do. He didn't take a chance on us. He set His purpose in motion and will fulfill His sovereign will in our life. We can make it hard by getting in the way or we can make it smooth and easy through surrender, but we can't make it happen or stop it once it's begun.  It's all on Him, and He left nothing to chance.

It's important to remember that. It's not by our might or power or will or anything other than the Spirit and grace of the living God that makes it possible for us to walk with Him and do His will. We need to rid ourselves of the half truths that sound good but distract from the whole truth, because if we forget He's the one doing the work and start trying to do it ourselves, we're going to open the door to destruction, failure and misery once again.



Unshackled Life Ministries is grateful for every person that reads the daily Unshackled Moments and or listens to the messages. I want to thank those who have clicked "like" on something that blessed or ministered to them. It is encouraging to know that God is using this ministry to help and bless others. Please remember that if God used something from this ministry to help, encourage or bless you, it could also bless someone else. Would you help get the devotions to more people by sharing the Moments and messages that you read or listen to? Hitting the share button instead of or in addition to the like button will help us reach more people with the good news of freedom and the encouragement to live an Unshackled Life. Thank you and God bless.

If you would like to have notifications of new Unshackled Moments and messages sent to you via email, send an email to dalynwoodard@mail.com requesting to be added to the list. You can also follow Dalyn Woodard (@Dalynsmsings) on Twitter or Unshackled Life Ministries on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment