ULM

ULM

Friday, April 29, 2016

Unshackled Moments ~ April 29 ~ I Suck, Nerdblock Rocks

I recently made a comment on social media and to multiple friends and family members that put Nerdblock in a bad light. What I said was true, in the strictest sense, but since I had not examined myself and my part of things first, was not rigorously honest. How so? All that I said was that I was not happy with Nerdblock, or with Nerdblock customer service, which was true at the time.  But had I paused before reacting to ensure that I had the whole picture, to check my side of the street and the true reasons for my anger and frustration I would have found much earlier than I did that, while at the time I truly was unhappy with, frustrated with, and angry at Nerdblock on the surface, my anger in reality had little to do with them.

I received an email from the aforementioned company asking for feedback on the scifiblock box I received from them. I haven't filled it out yet, but the email reminded me that after the communication with customer service they sent an email to evaluate that experience, and I gave a bad review. I didn't do so publicly, but in reality this could be more damaging than my public action, as this could affect the poor customer service person's employment. I will be writing to the company to try to undo any damage my review might have done, but since I expressed my dissatisfaction publicly, I want to set the record straight publicly as well.

My dissatisfaction and anger were not the fault of Nerdblock nor warranted. Alex, the unfortunate soul who drew the short straw and handled my customer service, did nothing out of line or wrong and didn't deserve my reaction or my poor review of his performance.  As I took personal inventory over the past few weeks in order to deal with some things spiritually that have been bothering me, I finally began to see that none of my temper tantrum had anything to do with Nerdblock or its policies or employees. It, like most things that make me angry, was all about me. This self examination led to yesterday's UM Anger Issues Tick Me Off and also caused me to see that just sitting back and going oops, I was wrong, when my words and actions might have adversely affected someone's standing in their job and the company's sales, when even if only one person failed to do business with them because of my actions it would be too many and wrong. Hence the public admission of my part.

This all started with the purchase of a scifiblock and a comicblock box subscription, one month each, for my birthday. And it started with fear, that corrosive thread. That should have been a bright neon warning sign, because I can't stay afraid long without getting angry. I used my entire chunk of cash that my mother and father gave me for my birthday to get the boxes. What if I didn't like them? What if it turned out to be a waste of money? What if I should have bought the new Star Wars movie on Blu-ray instead? What if? The magic magnifying problem projector in my mind was working all too well. And part of my fear had to do with the auto renew aspect of the subscription policy. I still don't care for that, hate it really. But that said, most companies do it that way, so it is not a policy out of step with the market place, and if I had the disposable income to get the boxes regularly, I would likely love that I didn't have to do anything to renew. I only hate auto renew when I know that I can not afford the product and the responsibility falls on me. If I fail it will cost me something, and I don't like that. And that, if it's not obvious, is my foolishness and in no way a fault of Nerdblock or any other subscription company.

The information that I received did not have some important things to know, such as when the subscription would  renew, and I became frustrated with that. The times I tried to use the email link to manage my subscription didn't work at first, and when it did, I was unable to log in to the account. I assumed I had some time since it had not been a month since the first subscription, so when Leah told me that we'd been charged for another month, I became angry.

But if I am honest with myself, this was a failure on my part, not theirs, and my anger was really because of and at me. Had I not just waited, and contacted customer service when I first couldn't get in, the problem could have been handled a couple of weeks before I was charged. I didn't pursue taking care of my responsibility and risked being charged. I'm sure had I contacted them earlier they could have helped me before there was a problem. Especially, since, as I learned later, they actually had given me the information.

Through nothing they could control, my email, for reasons that I still don't understand, put my receipt email through to my inbox, but sent everything else that they sent me to my spam folder. This included the instructions that I couldn't find, a list of dates in which subscriptions are renewed each month and the assigned password that would have enabled me to log into my account. I didn't find these until after I had dealt with customer service and gotten upset. I knew that it was past time, but I had received no notice of shipment as promised. This should have been a clue to check my spam folder, but I didn't because of receiving the first email. I assumed I would have gotten anything else that they sent.  Had I contacted them when I first had problems and doubts or even checked my spam folder everything would have been fine.

I got angry because I felt I had failed, because I felt stupid for not being able to figure out how to do what I needed to do (a difficult task indeed with the information I needed in the spam folder), and because I felt like I had cost us money we didn't really have to spend. I was angry at myself but directed my anger at them for making me feel helpless, foolish and a failure. None of which they were guilty of. I complained that they charged me before the first package was shipped, which it turns out they didn't. I just didn't know it had shipped. Stupid Spam filter. I need to turn it off, if that's even possible. I can throw away my own trash. I complained about being charged early, when I wasn't and would have known it wasn't had I seen the email they did send which had the dates for renewal.

The customer service rep had no way of knowing I hadn't seen any of the several emails they had sent, which if read would have taken me through the steps needed to avoid everything I was upset about. He responded with what I am sure is the scripted response that they can not refund or cancel a subscription after it has been charged, which is clearly and boldly stated in one of the "spam" emails. If I were him I would have been thinking, idiot, you knew there were no cancellations or refunds after the (insert date here), why didn't you address this before then and not two weeks late? I can't do anything now!  Whether he thought any such thing though I don't know because he answered everything courteously and promptly with what the policy called for. I had tone as I responded that I found it hard to believe that it was impossible to cancel a subscription before it had shipped, as though he lied or was trying to con me out of money. But they did state the policy clearly. Not their fault I didn't see it.

About the time all of this was happening, I got my scifiblock box, which I absolutely loved. There was only one thing in the box I didn't care much for, and I am sure that many would like it very much. It was more than worth the money it cost, and I am happy with what became my birthday present. I expressed my joy and posted a photo of my haul, though I had to throw in a barb about being dissatisfied with the customer service, that, as pointed out, they didn't really deserve. Along with all of my great stuff, the box included notification that the next box was a tribute to Leonard Nimoy. I became thrilled. I love Star Trek and was a fan of Mr. Nimoy. At least if I bought an extra box it would be something I would love to have.

I still had not found the spam filed emails and had not cancelled the comicblock renewal and was in a near panic that it would be charged to me before I could get it stopped. I sent yet another customer service email stating that they better explain to me how to cancel it or do so on their end or I would be even more upset and public about it. I also stated that I wasn't as upset about the other now that I saw it was a Nimoy Tribute but didn't want to miss the time to cancel the comicblock since I had made it clear that I didn't want to renew, even if not through the proper steps.

They sent me an email stating that they had canceled the subscription that I had been charged for after all, an attempt to bend over backwards and break their own policy to keep a customer happy. They never had a chance. I was so messed up in myself that I got angry at that! It's embarrassing to admit, but I did. Seriously? I just told you that I was no longer upset because I wanted the Nimoy box and now you refund me and cancel it? Well, I had also said I couldn't afford it. I had ranted about my frustration. I had insisted they were making it difficult to cancel in order to get more money out of people, none of which was accurate. So they responded to paragraphs of such stupidity and ignored the little, well I guess it's not too bad at least it'll be good to get it sentence? Of course they did. They were not trying to make anything difficult, they weren't trying to trick me or anyone into spending more than they wanted and they were trying satisfy a customer that would not be satisfied because of his own issues and mistakes and things beyond their control. Thankfully none of the customer service correspondence went to spam.

Alex did nothing to be dissatisfied about. He did his job, above and beyond from the looks of things. I do regret not getting the Nimoy box, but had I seen the email with the renewal dates and instructions, passwords, etc. to cancel the box, I would have unsubscribed before I knew about it anyway. I am grateful that they did so much to try to satisfy my complaints, when I was in the wrong about their intentions and policies. I have nothing against Nerdblock. I am dissatisfied with my failure to check my spam box, with my foolish reactions and procrastination. I am dissatisfied with how I tainted what could have been a wonderful gift and experience. But I am not dissatisfied with them in any way. Should I have the money in the future to get another subscription I will not hesitate to do so, and I pray that the thought of having  to have me as a customer again does not make them cringe.

This has become more than a moment and is not a lesson or thought or meditation on freedom that normally constitutes these writings, So is there a point that could be helpful to you, Dear Reader? I hope so. Step 10 states that when we are wrong we promptly admit it. I admit that I didn't do so as promptly as I perhaps should have. I was definitely in the wrong. Also on the subject of cleaning up our side of the street, when the wrong is committed for all the world to see, so should admitting the wrong be. If we want to be free, we can not correct in private the wrong done in public, unless to do so would be better for the injured party. Regardless of how long we have been walking the spiritual path of freedom and relationship with out Creator, we all still make mistakes. False pride that it might hinder our message of hope to people if they knew we failed to walk in the principles we preach, such as don't react, practice restraint of tongue and pen, don't be controlled by fear, don't react with anger, when angry look within to find out why we are really upset before expressing that anger and more. I failed to walk in these. No excuses. No one else's fault. Not even the spam filter's fault, because I could have checked it at any time. No matter how much time one has in recovery, no matter what status we might imagine having as being an example or teacher, no matter how long or "strong" a Christian, no matter what position one might hold as mentor or minister, we all make mistakes. Do not be ashamed to admit it. Don't let feeling foolish and shame and pride prevent us from getting back to the basics. Don't compound failing to practice the principles that brought us to life and gave us a life worth living by failing to quickly do what we should after falling down.




Unshackled Life Ministries is grateful for every person that reads the daily Unshackled Moments and or listens to the messages. I want to thank those who have clicked "like" on something that blessed or ministered to them. It is encouraging to know that God is using this ministry to help and bless others. Please remember that if God used something from this ministry to help, encourage or bless you, it could also bless someone else. Would you help get the devotions to more people by sharing the Moments and messages that you read or listen to? Hitting the share button instead of or in addition to the like button will help us reach more people with the good news of freedom and the encouragement to live an Unshackled Life. Thank you and God bless.

If you would like to have notifications of new Unshackled Moments and messages sent to you via email, send an email to dalynwoodard@mail.com requesting to be added to the list. You can also follow Dalyn Woodard (@Dalynsmsings) on Twitter or Unshackled Life Ministries on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment