ULM

ULM

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Unshackled Moments ~ January 12, 2017 ~ Powerless Doesn't Mean Victim

What do you think of when you imagine powerlessness? Do you think of someone helpless, completely hopeless and unable to escape or protect themselves? The image to the right is a digital art piece I created years ago in attempt to express my feelings of powerlessness when my world was beyond out of control and death seemed the only way out. And this was nearly a decade before I admitted I was powerless over the alcohol and drugs. It was life I couldn't manage.

But if you imagine something similar to what I described or created when you think of powerlessness, if you imagine a victim, then you, like I was, are wrong. Let me clarify. There are powerless victims, so the two are not mutually exclusive. But there are victims who are not powerless over who or what is victimizing them. If they would use the power they have, they would not be a victim. And there are those who have no power and are helpless who are not victimized.

Jesus became a victim for us and chose to allow Himself to be beaten and killed. But He was never powerless. He could have come down from the cross. He could have called down angels. As a boy, not long after I got the boys don't hit girls for any reason, no way and no how, lesson from my father, I made one of the neighborhood girls mad at me. She attacked me, and believe me when I tell you that she hit every bit as hard as her brother, whom I was best friends with yet had fought several times. I curled up in a ball and let her pound on my back. I ended up her victim that day because, well, first because I was a jerk, but also because I refused to run and wouldn't fight back. I had the power to flee or fight and did neither. Choice, not powerless.

And there is the flip side, like the girl who isn't victimized growing up not because she has power but because she has five big brothers who will stomp anyone who messes with her and everyone knows it. And something similar is what I now think of when I think of powerlessness. There are multiple movies where some poor kid is being tormented and abused and bullied by some brat and no matter what he tries, how he runs or even if he stands up to the bully, he never escapes or defeats his foe. He's powerless. He can't win. He is a potential victim with little hope of it ending any other way. Then, someone bigger and stronger witnesses what is going on and steps in. He has a new friend that the bully is afraid of and can't beat. So now he is safe from the bully. The bully won't mess with him because of the friend.

That's powerlessness without victimization. And that is possible for you and me. Now, I am not saying that we will never be beaten by a person or situation again. But we don't have to play the victim. Jesus said that He is a friend that is closer than a brother. What's the difference between being beaten and playing the role of victim? A victim is constantly in fear, fear of being beaten and abused but never  flees or fights. Many in recovery, especially early recovery, think or feel that their addiction is just waiting to take back control and destroy them. I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone in recovery say that their addiction is out doing push-ups, getting stronger, waiting for them to relapse. It seems that at the least provocation, the slightest opening, the smallest vulnerability will have the addiction returning to take them for a ride, and there's nothing they can do about it because they are powerless.

We are not powerless, as in unable to flee or fight or without resources. We are powerless only in the meaning that we do not have the ability on our own to defeat the bully of our bondage. But we act like our powerlessness is the former rather than the latter at times. We act as though we had no choice in the matter, as if there was nothing we could do. My will is never enough to defeat sin, selfishness and addiction, not for long anyway. Making a choice not to do those things is not going to give me victory, because I don't have the power to stop or to stop starting. But the choice is still a part of it. That powerlessness doesn't mean that I don't have a part or a responsibility or a hope of escape. If it did, no one would ever get free.

I made a choice not to run or fight as a boy and got beat up. And if you use whatever excuse, I was hungry, angry, lonely, tired, too stressed out, I was triggered, I went to the wrong place, whatever, to choose not to run from a beast you can't defeat, you will get beat up by your addiction/bondage. But there is another choice. We can run, flee, and not just randomly, but to our friend who is closer than a brother, who is not, never was and never will be powerless, who has the power we need to defeat the enemy.

We are promised that with every temptation, and every includes the temptations associated with addiction, there is also a way of escape. You don't have to have the power to beat the temptation, but you do need to choose to take the escape route. In all things, the grace of God, which is the power of God freely given to us because of the death and resurrection of Jesus, that we don't deserve and can't earn but which becomes ours to use in order to walk with God and defeat sin and self, that grace is sufficient to meet our needs. No, I will never be strong enough to control or defeat my addictions. I am powerless. But I am not a helpless victim and my addictions can't touch me. Because it's not about my strength and power but His. My adopted brother and best friend, Jesus, is always with me, and my addiction doesn't stand a chance against Him. He provides me a way of escape and fights the battle for me. But I, as someone who is not a victim to sin and self and addiction and the past any longer, must choose to avail myself of that grace and that escape. As long as I choose His way, will and love for me, I can never lose. And yet, I am not personally any more powerful than I have ever been. But I have a friend. He wants to be your friend too. You don't have to be a victim of bondage and addiction, regardless of your powerlessness.



Unshackled Life Ministries is grateful for every person that reads the daily Unshackled Moments and or listens to the messages. I want to thank those who have clicked "like" on something that blessed or ministered to them. It is encouraging to know that God is using this ministry to help and bless others. Please remember that if God used something from this ministry to help, encourage or bless you, it could also bless someone else. Would you help get the devotions to more people by sharing the Moments and messages that you read or listen to? Hitting the share button instead of or in addition to the like button will help us reach more people with the good news of freedom and the encouragement to live an Unshackled Life. Thank you and God bless.

If you would like to have notifications of new Unshackled Moments and messages sent to you via email, send an email to dalynwoodard@mail.com requesting to be added to the list. You can also follow Dalyn Woodard (@Dalynsmsings) on Twitter or Unshackled Life Ministries on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment