ULM

ULM

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Unshackled Moments ~ November 19 ~ Dreading Discipline

"Quiet time". "Devotions". "Meditation, Study and Prayer," or whatever else it is or can be called is sometimes not easy. Just the very label we give it can drudge up feelings of dreariness and yes, even bondage. Really, what it amounts to is discipline, and we, well...I can't speak for you, I, yes, I hate it. Discipline feels like bondage. It feels like a have to, a must, a whether you want to or feel like it or not kind of thing. I hate those. Or at least I say I do.

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 2But I discipline my body and bring it into [strict control]...
- I Corinthians 9:24-27

Paul in writing to the Corinthians reminds us that self discipline, training, is crucial. It's also something we'll do if we understand the cost and the goal. I have a friend who runs marathons. She trains for them and runs regularly, in al kinds of weather, when she feels good, and when she doesn't. I don't do that. I can fantasize about running a marathon, but the dream isn't even close to inspirational to me. I think, "That'd be so cool, and such an accomplishment." Then I think,, "That would hurt. and take a lot of time and energy." Then the fantasy dissipates like morning fog on a sunny day. Poof. It's just not worth it to me.

Definition of DISCIPLINE
1: punishment
2: obsolete : instruction
3: a field of study 
4: training that corrects, molds, or perfects the mental faculties or moral character 
5: a: control gained by enforcing obedience or order b: orderly or prescribed conduct or pattern of behavior c: self-control 
6: a rule or system of rules governing conduct or activity 

 When I see or hear the word discipline I think punishment, pain and ugh. I think rules and instantly want to rebel. I think football practice with its exercises and running laps for messing up and why I quit football Discipline defined as instruction, free of  punishment implications, is now obsolete. But so are quite a few other English words used in Christianity. Justified is an example. Have any of us ever used that word outside of a religious context? I have never used, seen or heard it in any other context. But there was a time that no one would have said a man was found not guilty over saying justified. Why use three words when one would suffice?

Discipline is training, and more specifically, training that molds and perfects and corrects mental faculties and moral character. When I look at it like that, it's not as repulsive. Depending on the goal. Not going to start training for a marathon any time soon. But I'm going to work in a minute. I don't want to. I hurt so badly. I could barely get out of bed this morning, and Ibuprofen hasn't helped enough yet to enable me to stand straight. But I will go, because it's important enough to me to provide what I can for my family and I understand that if I lose or quit this job, there may not be another. If there was a physically easier job available to me today, I'd take it and quit. There's not. So I don't. It's become worth it to push through the pain and continue to work when at all able. That is also discipline and very different from who I was years ago..

Writing these Unshackle Moments is also discipline, but most days it doesn't feel like it. Most of the time it feels like something I want and long to do. It's a chance to serve. It's a way to give what I have been given. It is fulfilling. But there are other times when it's difficult, when I don't have the time or the words, and I have to push through or make time. That's where the discipline comes in. And the reason that it doesn't feel like discipline or training is because of the goal.

Even if we focus on the definitions that don't mention rules or punishment, discipline can still sound just too tiring and painful to be worth it. Training to improve moral character and mental faculties sounds about as much fun as getting up early, losing sleep, to go run in the cold and the rain to train to run for 26 miles. No thank you. But my friend loves it, and the race is not really the reason.  It's the book cover over the reason. Just as mental faulty and moral character are not the reason behind spiritual disciplines. That's like saying muscles and fitness are the goal of exercise. They're not. They are what leads to the goal, which is to look better, or live longer, or be able to compete in a certain sport. Moral character and mental faculty are tools like muscles that help maintain our relationship with Daddy.

If we aren't living as we should morally, it creates distance between us and our Creator and we find ourselves hiding in the bushes with Adam. And if our brain isn't working, we can't understand. That's pretty simple. But the training isn't the goal. The moral character isn't the goal. Being able to understand isn't the goal. Not of spiritual disciplines. Not of quiet time. The goal is to connect with God. In connecting with God is peace, joy and love. In connecting with God is power. In connecting with God is contentment, fulfillment and a life worth living. When we see the goal as those rewards, doing what it takes to get that and maintain it feels more worth it, doesn't it?

If someone legitimately offered me enough money to live on so that I could avoid the manual labor jobs and concentrate on ministry on the condition that I run a marathon by my birthday, which is in five months, I would start training and running today. It would then be worth it to me, and back pain and my knees blowing up like balloons and my feet blistering and hurting wouldn't stop me. I would change my diet as necessary. I wouldn't be stopped by schedule or weather. I would run the race, even if I had to crawl the last 20 miles. But for whatever my friend gets out of it? Not for me.

For the great joy and benefit of connecting with God, I can get up a little early, most days. I can stay up a little later. I can read. I can listen to music that helps me connect. I can do what it takes, whatever it takes. Because it no longer is about should dos. And it's not about rules or moral character. It's not about conforming or even measuring up. It's about getting to spend time with the one I love and pleasing Him. Why do you want to connect with God? When you find the right reason, it will inspire. Then simply do those things that make that all important goal obtainable and stop doing things that hinder. The discipline will take care of itself.




Unshackled Life Ministries is grateful for every person that reads the daily Unshackled Moments and or listens to the messages. I want to thank those who have clicked "like" on something that blessed or ministered to them. It is encouraging to know that God is using this ministry to help and bless others. Please remember that if God used something from this ministry to help, encourage or bless you, it could also bless someone else. Would you help get the devotions to more people by sharing the Moments and messages that you read or listen to? Hitting the share button instead of or in addition to the like button will help us reach more people with the good news of freedom and the encouragement to live an Unshackled Life. Thank you and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment