ULM

ULM

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Unshackled Moments ~ March 1 ~ Dont Shoot The Wounded

Sunday morning Leah and I went to church, and my father, who was preaching, told one of his stories from the pulpit about me in my youth, as in under the age of five youth. The tale of a boy full of joy is one that I've heard before. I believe it, because I know my father is not lying from the pulpit, and the story hasn't changed from as long as I can remember. But I don't remember that joyful boy. I don't know what it feels like to fit the description I once had. I remember being damaged and broken and then trying to escape it all.

When I got home that afternoon, in a bit of a nostalgic mood, I played "Bad News For The Modern Man by Steve Camp. This is a song I have loved since its release in 1984, and it has my favorite line:
she feels our condemnation.  She knows our spiritual pride. The church should care for the wounded, not leave them on the streets to die.
I loved this song, because I've believed Jesus cared for the wounded and broken, with me as the exception, and the church was who was doing most of the bruising and breaking in my life. Now I have reached the place where I know that God loves and cares for my brokenness as well and restoration and healing has begun.

Then a friend from church, who wasn't there Sunday and missed the story, sent me a Facebook message Sunday evening that really got to me.

Whenever I listen to Chuck Girard, "Don't shoot the wounded"., I first think of you, then I think of how well your father handles those of us who have been wounded in one way or another. You, my brother and friend, have shown great fortitude on your trip back from the abyss, and I am very proud of you.

To be honest,it made me tear up some when I played the song I hadn't heard in over two decades. I always liked Girard's Don't Shoot The Wounded, because of its message and its slight Dylan feel. It occurred to me to write this, but I sat on it. Then last night it all came up again in a discussion with my parents. I actually learned that my mother spoke face to face with Chuch Girard about me. I knew I had what today's Unshackled Moment's theme would be. Don't shoot the wounded.

Jesus came to heal the brokenhearted and set the captives free. He loved, fellowshipped with and ministered to the outcast, the sinner and the sick. He told those who believe in Him to do as He did. Those who would call ourselves Christians should be an extension of the love of Christ to those we encounter, especially the broken and wounded. The presence of a believer should be a safe place, a refuge. And for those like me who have been terribly wounded and attacked by those who profess love of Jesus with their lips but condemnation, judgement and hatred with their actions, I can attest that there is healing available for those wounds, there is freedom from the bondage that resulted from trying to escape the pain, there is a place of refuge and safety in the arms of Daddy, and despite how His broken followers may have failed to show it properly, God does indeed love, value and treasure you. Yes, you. In all of your mess and brokenness, He loves you as you are, not as you should be.

So today, let us love. Let us remember that we have been broken and fallen as well, even if in different ways, before we show anything other than love to another. Let us be quick to love and slow to condemn. And let our actions say there is healing, there is recovery, there is restoration and there is refuge if you come to those who are wounded.




Unshackled Life Ministries is grateful for every person that reads the daily Unshackled Moments and or listens to the messages. I want to thank those who have clicked "like" on something that blessed or ministered to them. It is encouraging to know that God is using this ministry to help and bless others. Please remember that if God used something from this ministry to help, encourage or bless you, it could also bless someone else. Would you help get the devotions to more people by sharing the Moments and messages that you read or listen to? Hitting the share button instead of or in addition to the like button will help us reach more people with the good news of freedom and the encouragement to live an Unshackled Life. Thank you and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment